Though the Collective Design Fair changed its date and location, attendees can still expect to be wowed by edgy art and design from the fair’s sixth edition. Originally established by architect Steven Learner as a fresh perspective on the creative process, materiality and discovery, the annual event draws collectors new and seasoned to browse contemporary masterworks alongside emerging talents.
HISTORY OF SKYLIGHT CLARKSON SQUARE & SISTER SITE CLARKSON NORTH
Formerly known as the St. John’s Terminal, the site opened in 1934 and served as the terminus to the newly-elevated rail line along Tenth Avenue, the “lifeline of New York” that carried meat and milk and eggs from Hudson Valley and beyond. Remnants of rail lines are still embedded in its concrete floors, a hint at its major role in building Manhattan’s west side.
When New York was a city of moderate size on the lower end of Manhattan Island a goods station was built at St. John’s Park, which was then on the outskirts of the city, by the old Hudson River Railroad, now a part of the New York Central. The name of St. John’s Park, unusual for a goods station in the United States, was due to the fact that the station was on the site of a park once owned by St. John’s Episcopal Church. This old landmark on the east side of Varick Street was destroyed by the construction of the West Side Subway. The goods station was opened in 1868 on Hudson Street between Laight and Beech Streets.
As the city grew, the goods station, instead of being on the outskirts, became the heart of the wholesale dry goods and grocery districts. It was also very near the upper limits of the financial district. Each year it saved merchants thousands of pounds in trucking charges. Additional goods stations were opened at Thirty-third Street, then at Sixtieth Street and at One Hundred and Thirtieth Street.
These city terminals soon proved their value, as they were always available when bad weather impeded, or stopped entirely, the navigation of New York Harbor and the Hudson River by car floats and lighters—the only other means of receiving and sending railway goods. At such times the West Side Line was practically the sole artery along which food and fuel was conveyed to New York’s millions.
History source: Mike’s Railway History